The X-Men have survived X of Swords – and now it is time for the Reign of X. But the threat of Nimrod looms over the mutant race…
Marvel Comics has officially confirmed the next range of X-Men books – after Dawn of X and X of Swords, Reign of X will unleash a terrifying new threat against the entire mutant race. Jonathan Hickman’s X-Men relaunch has been a tremendous success, setting up a whole new status quo in which the entire mutant race has gathered on the living island of Krakoa.
X of Swords was the first major challenge to confront the mutants of Krakoa, as they faced an interdimensional crisis as a result of Apocalypse’s Machiavellian manipulations. Although the outcome was inevitable, with the X-Men successfully defeating the forces of the demonic world Amenth. They have paid a terrible price for their victory, though, with Betsy Braddock – the new Captain Britain – apparently destroyed.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view.
Marvel Comics has just announced the next stage of the X-Men relaunch, called Reign of X. “The Reign of X is upon us,” Marvel’s editor-in-chief C.B. Cebulski declared in an official press statement, “and here’s a sneak peek of what it will bring! Like Dawn of X and X of Swords before it, Reign of X has been meticulously crafted by Jonathan Hickman and all the other uncanny X-writers of our day, and we can’t wait for you to see what they’ve cooked up!” According to Cebulski, readers should closely examine the Reign of X promotional image.
The teaser is absolutely fascinating, but probably the most notable presence is Nimrod, the ultimate mutant-hunting Sentinel. Jonathan Hickman’s Powers of X revealed the true secret of the mutant race; that in every prior timeline experienced by resurrecting mutant Moira MacTaggert, the development of the Nimrod Sentinel inevitably led to the ultimate extinction of the mutant race. The establishment of Krakoa was supposed to be a way of avoiding this outcome, a desperate Hail Mary orchestrated by Charles Xavier, Magneto, and Moira. Unfortunately, if Nimrod is due to make an appearance in Reign of X, then it suggests Krakoa will fail – and the entire mutant race is threatened with extinction as a result.
Reign of X will begin in December, with the various X-Men books exploring the consequences of X of Swords. December’s X-Men comics include:
- Hellions #7 by writer Zeb Wells and artist Stephen Segovia will explore the aftermath of the team’s brutal massacre in X of Swords.
- X-Factor #5 by writer Leah Williams and artist David Baldeon, which will continue to explore the consequences of mutant death and resurrection.
- Marauders #16 by writer Gerry Duggan and artist Stefano Caselli will see Kate Pryde and Emma Frost enact their long-awaited revenge on Sebastian Shaw.
- SWORD #1 will see writer Al Ewing and artist Valerie Schiti take the mutant race to infinity and beyond.
- New Mutants #14 is the beginning of a wild new era for your favorite young mutants by writer Vita Ayala and artist Rod Reis.
- Wolverine #8 by writer Benjamin Percy and artists Adam Kubert and Viktor Bogdanovic will see Wolverine team up with his old Team X colleague Maverick.
- Excalibur #16 by writer Tini Howard and artist Marcus To will see Excalibur return to Otherworld in search of Betsy Braddock.
- X-Force #15 by writer Benjamin Percy and Marvel’s Stormbreaker artist Joshua Cassara will see the mutants interrogate their own as potential traitors.
- X-Men #16 by writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Phil Noto will see Cyclops decide the future of the X-Men.
More: The Best Way To Update The X-Men For The MCU
Star Wars Theory: Ahsoka Leads Mandalorian & Baby Yoda To Luke Skywalker
About The Author